In my previous tutorial I showed you Mina’s Quiet Book. In this post I want to show you how to make a cover for your Quiet Book because if you put the effort into making a QB why not give it a proper book cover that not only looks nice but also protects the book?
From cotton canvas:
- 2 rectagles: WIDTH: 2x page width + 10 cm / 3.9 in (spine) + 1 cm / 0.4 in; HEIGHT: page height + 1 cm / 0.4 in – In my case: 71 x 31 cm / 28 x 12.2 in
From fusible fleece:
- 2 rectangles: WIDTH: page width; HEIGHT: page height – In my case: 30 x 30 cm / 11.8 x 11.8 in
- 2 rectangles (spine): WIDTH: 9 cm / 3.5 in; HEIGHT: page height – In my case: 9 x 30 cm / 3.5 x 11.8 in
- 2 bookbinding rings with diameter of 5 cm / 1.97 in
- 4 grommets or a thread to finish the holes with stitching
- 1,5 cm / 0.6 in bias tape to cover the circumference the whole cover plus a few cm/in. In my case: 210 cm / 82.7 in
- 2 stripes of the same bias tape, length 50 cm / 19.7 in
How to make the Quiet Book Cover
Measure a stripe 10 cm / 3.9 in wide in the center of one canvas rectangle – inner side of the cover (black lines). Then place one of the fusible fleece rectangles for spine in the center of the measured stripe so that there is 0,5 cm / 0.2 in left between the edge of the fusible fleece and the edge of the stripe. Iron the spine to the canvas so it sticks in place.
Then measure the holes for the grommets. They should be in the same height as the grommets on the pages – check out measuring the grommets placement here). First mark the center of the fusible fleece lengthwise (red line) and then take the height in which the grommets should be placed (in my case 10 cm / 3.9 in) and measure 1 cm / 0.39 on each side (green dots).
Punch holes where you’ve marked the dots and insert grommets (picture 1) or finish the holes with stitching (pictures 2 and 3).
Insert the rings into the holes and leave the opening on the right side.
If you want a pocket on the inner side of the cover, now is the time to stitch it (I forgot to do that and attached it later, that’s why you won’t see it in the following pictures).
Now take the other canvas rectangle – outer cover – and decorate it.
Then take the other piece of fusible fleece for the spine and iron it in the same place like you did the first one. Then take the two bigger fusible fleece rectangles, align them with the spine piece so that there’s 0,5 cm / 0.2 in between the fusible fleece and the edges of the canvas. Iron all the fusible fleece pieces.
Place the inner cover and outer cover wrong sides together and stitch them.
Then hem them with the bias tape.
At both sides of the spine there should be a 0,5 cm / 0.2 in wide stripe without any fusible fleece. Stitch through both stripes.
Take those 2 stripes of bias tape, fold them lengthwise and stitch. Stitch each stripe to the edge of the front and back cover to make laces to close the book with.
Open the rings and insert the pages.