Gelatine Eyeballs are a part of my next Halloween cake, the Peekaboo! Cake.
As you can see from the featured picture, my gelatine eyeballs are on the softer side. This is due to the fact that I was going more for a strong cheese flavor rather than firm and smooth eyeballs and so I used softer gelatine which is used in non-baked cakes. If you want your eyeballs to be more smooth and firm, use another type of gelatin and also rather than cheese use milk (almond milk, soy milk…) but remember to always use double amount of gelatine.
(This post contains affiliate links.)
- ball mold – I personally recommend this one. It’s great, not too soft so you can carry it even after filling it. Scroll down for an alternative.
- 350 g/12 oz of fresh cheese – I use quark cheese but you can use other type such as panna cotta
- 2 tbsp of vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp of powder sugar
- gel food colorant: black, green and red
- gelatine for cold use – the amount depends on the brand you use but remember to use double of what’s recommended on the package
- small syringe
- toothpick or another pointy tool
Ball mold alternative: If you don’t want to invest into the ball mold, here’s an alternative:
- Get this half-sphere mold, I used it in the tutorials for the Gelatin Eyeball and the Tea Bombs. You make half eyeballs, drop some freshly made gelatine on the flat side of two halves and glue them together.
Gelatine Eyes – Tutorial
Prepare a tiny amount of gelatine and mix with a drop of black food colorant. With a syringe drop a few drops into each mold to make pupils of the future gelatine eyes. Let it solidify, you can also put it in the fridge.
Then prepare a little more gelatine with green colorant and apply some over the pupils to make the iris.
Using a toothpick or another pointy tool, draw some veins on the walls of each mold. Don’t mix the red colorant with water, use it as it is.
Prepare the mixture for the eyeball. Combine 350 grams/12 ounces of cheese with sugar and vanilla extract. Then prepare the gelatine (in some milk or water) and mix it in. This will make the mixture more liquid and you need it to be liquid to pour it into the mold.
Close the mold
Přiklopte víko formy a každou kouli naplňte přes trychtýřek. Pokud ho nemáte nebo nechcete používat, můžete tvaroh do formy lít také přes injekční stříkačku (tady doporučuji spíš nějakou větší).
Naplňte až po otvor ve víku. Nechte zatuhnout v lednici a já pak dávám želatinové oči ještě na pár hodin do mrazničky, aby se snadněji vyndávaly z formy.
Bulvy opatrně vyloupněte a jsou připravené pro další použití.